Sunday, May 23, 2010

Seattle, The BEST!

Now, what you've all been waiting for, the best places to eat in Seattle!

Start your day off with a little walk to Cafe Vita.  We found the one in Queen Anne by accident when we went the wrong direction while trying to find Top Pot Doughnuts.  They brew the best coffee I have ever tasted.  It was so smooth and flavorful and thick; nothing watery or burnt tasting comes from this place.  Cafe Vita prides itself on being certified organic and purchases only fair trade coffees.  They also roast their own beans.

After a brisk morning walk you absolutely have to have a doughnut from Top Pot.  Who cares that they are fried and then covered in sugar...everything in moderation... (One doughnut usually has between 200 and 300 calories) At Top Pot, one doughnut is enough; unlike Krispy Kremes which leave you feeling over sugared and unfulfilled, these are quite satisfying.  I tried the pink feather boa.  An old fashion style doughnut with light pink frosting and shredded coconut.  Ryan tried the maple glazed crueler.  I have to be honest, we went back again one more morning and I had the blueberry old fashioned and Ryan tried the apple fritter.  But the pink boa was by far my favorite.  It's amazing how crispy the outsides were while still being light and fluffy on the inside.  Doughnut Perfection, and the coffee is pretty tasty too.

While walking back to the hotel one afternoon we went past a little place called Baracuda Taqueria.  I stopped to look at the menu, but as Ryan put it, "I don't need to see the menu, I can smell how good it is, we're having dinner here."  So later that night that's what we did. The restaurant itself is tiny with 2 small tables and 3 large tables that will seat about 8 each.  When we were there they had only been open for about 3 months.  For the best sampling of flavors go with the tacos which are sold individually for about $4.00.  I tried the chili lime shrimp taco and the fish taco.  It was a fiesta in my mouth.  One of the best things I have ever eaten.  Ryan tried several of the meat tacos.  You are warned though, they are spicy.  When the waitress came for our check, I asked for another shrimp taco and savored every bite.  If this place doesn't win an award in the next couple years, I will be very surprised.

For one of the best ice cream experiences ever, take the ferry to Bainbridge Island and visit Mora Iced Creamery.  All the ice creams are made in small batches with regular flavors as well as seasonal.  I was going to get a small dish but couldn't decide on a flavor; there are about 44 to choose from.  Ryan suggested we split a piece of their apple pie and top it with cinnamon ice-cream (his favorite flavor).  I'm so happy I agreed.  The pie and ice cream were sooooo good I moaned after taking the first bite.  Seriously.  The pie was not what I expected.  It was flat and square and had cherries in it from a local farm which rounded out the flavor very nicely. It was pure ice cream bliss.

For the best seafood plan on Anthony's at pier 66 (they also have several other locations).  Yes it's a little pricey, but that's because they want to serve you only the best they can offer.  This is exemplified by the fact that they have their own seafood company just to inspect each days purchases.  They buy local produce and serve local wines and micro brews.  We started with a round of oysters, these were bigger than the Olympia oysters and take a little more thought when swallowing.  But the flavor was incredible, so fresh and not overly salty.  Ryan had the seared haddock and I tried the seafood chioppino.  I have never tasted anything like it.  There were mussels, clams, salmon, haddock, crab and two large shrimp simmered in a tomato broth.  It was seasoned perfectly and was just a touch spicey.  Nothing was over cooked and rubbery.  I tried to savor it as long as I could.  My only recommendation is to save some of the bread from the basket at the beginning of the meal since the blacked bread that comes with the chioppino will over power the subtle flavors in the dish.  Then, sit back and enjoy the view.

No comments:

Post a Comment