Sunday, May 25, 2014

Shirley's Pork & Kraut

My lovely co-worker Shirley makes this amazing crock-pot pulled pork with sauerkraut.  Earlier this spring she was telling me her recipe and the next time she made it, I got a sample.  The best part, it's stupid easy.  After another weekend away, this time to Chicago for my niece's high school graduation, Ryan and I were in need of an easy, very little effort, comforting meal.

Let me also not forget to mention that nice bacterial + viral infection Ryan contracted right after our North Carolina trip; he gave part of it to me.  So I spent our weekend in Chicago trying not to cough on my relatives.  Two weeks after infection date, I'm still hacking.  It just won't go away!  Any who, it was so nice to come home midweek to a delicious hot meal of slightly salty pulled pork, and lots of warm kraut.  Plus we had enough leftovers for 1 Ryan size meal and 3 Brenna size meals.

Here's how to make your own:

1. Salt and pepper a pork shoulder roast.  I don't know how big ours was, but probably somewhere in the 3-5# range.  Then brown on all sides in your fat of choice (butter, coconut oil, lard, or bacon grease).


 2. Place roast in crock-pot and cover with 2 sliced onions and 1 large jar of sauerkraut.



3. Pour in 1 cup of water or chicken broth + 2 bay leaves.  Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.


4. Serve with a pile of green beans.  Yum Yum Yum.  Now you've got leftovers for lunch!


In other exciting news, I'm done with my Masters!!!  No more early morning class work, group projects, or boring text book reading!  Just a few more letters to add to my name:  MS, RD, LD  

Waiting to watch Jessie get her diploma, it was 50 degrees, and we were chilly.  My sister is in the pink jacket; Love you Amy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment