Thursday, February 18, 2010

Homemade Electrolytes

This past weekend I went for my longest run ever 16 miles!  I only stopped once for a quick dash into the woods... For long runs such as these, pretty much anything over 11 miles I cary some for of quick carb with me such as a gel, raisins, or gator-aide.  I would love to buy Hammer Nutrition products, but those are a little pricey for my current budget.  They are just about the only sports supplement company that does not use any artificial flavorings, colorings, or sweeteners in their products.  Unfortunately there are no stores in town who sell it; and no other brands that seem to live up to their quality.   Therefore I started making my own recovery shakes and salt/carb beverage drinks for long runs.  Here is a link to my hydration pack which I love.  No excess bouncing or spilling, and the flasks come out of their holsters easily when I need a sip.  I fill one flask 1/2 full (6 oz) juice, 4 oz water, and 1/8 tsp pickling salt (it dissolves easily).  This provides me with 87 kcals, 23 g carbohydrate, 298 mg sodium, 19mg calcium, 147mg potassium, and 12.5mg magnesium.  Plus I get the added flavonoids and polyphenols from the juice!  No other drink can claim that.  Another bonus with my drink is that I do not have to worry about the fructose syrup found in most drinks causing my stomach to cramp.

Recovery smoothies are another area I've been playing around with.  After hard work outs at the gym I sometimes like to blend together plain yogurt, a splash of juice or milk, maybe some peanut butter, a banana, or frozen fruit.  I do it all by sight so there is no real recipe for it.  Last summer we had an abundance of fresh watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, and grapes.  Ryan and I blended them up and portioned them into 2 oz plastic cups.  We froze them and now instead of fresh or frozen fruit, I just throw one to two of these frozen fruit things into the blender and POOF! Smoothie deliciousness.

Last comment: Either the oil of oregano worked or my allergies just ran their coarse.  I'll probably keep taking it this spring since I know the trees/flowers/grass will begin blooming in a few months.  Too bad it tastes so awful.  Next time I'm buying the capsules.

No comments:

Post a Comment