Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mighty Magnesium

After starting with Weight and Wellness I have re-learned the importance of magnesium.  This is not to say I ever thought it un-important.  It's just that the notion of someone being magnesium deficient had never really crossed my mind.  HOWEVER!  Approximately 62% of the U.S. population is magnesium deficient.  Unfortunately, blood tests will not be able to tell you if you are.  Blood levels of electrolytes are monitored very carefully by the body, and nutrients will be pulled from other sources (bone and muscles) to keep serum levels normal.  Do any of these symptoms sound familiar to you...

Magnesium is for Muscles!
Chocolate Cravings
Leg Cramps
Restless Leg Syndrome
Difficulty Falling Asleep
Anxiety and Depression
Slow Metabolism
High Blood Pressure
Constipation

Hmmmm.... I know almost every client I see has at least one of these symptoms.  While in college I had to create a poster depicting the Krebs Cycle, AKA-Metabolism.  It was amazing how almost every process needed magnesium in order for it to function properly.

I avoided taking a magnesium supplement for a while, but then it's allure got to me.  Taking a couple hundred milligrams before bed is amazing!  It really does help my body relax and put me to sleep fast, especially when I am stressed about school.  Ryan loves that it helps his achey muscles relax after hard workouts.

If you are not interested in taking a magnesium supplement, make sure to include foods high in magnesium in your diet.  These include: Grass Fed Beef, Salmon, Leafy Greens, Nuts/Seeds.
A meal plan high in magnesium might look something like this...
Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs over sauteed kale
Lunch: Large Spinach Salad with Canned Salmon, and Sunflower Seeds.
Dinner: Grilled steak with lots of veggies!
Bed Time Snack: Slice of Whole Grain Toast with Almond Butter

No comments:

Post a Comment