Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Banana Guard

I am the proud new owner of a Banana Guard.  What is it?  Its a hard plastic case that protects my banana while traveling.  My aunt from NZ sent it too me.  They are very popular in Australia and New Zealand with all the back packers, hikers, and outdoorsy types.  Apparently people all over the world do not like bruised and mushy bananas.    I took mine to work the other day, of course people see it and get the wrong idea... But once I opened it they thought it was a pretty good product.  I have no doubt that when the weather warms up and Ryan and I get to do some back packing and camping it will come in very handy.  Maybe they should invent one that holds several bananas, seeing as how 1 banana will only last through one snack and not a weekend vacation in the Appalachians.

Here are a few nutrition snippets about the very popular banana(based on a 7" to 8" fruit)
105 kcals, 0.4g fat,  27g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 1.3g protein

Besides potassium, they are high in: Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Manganese, and Magnesium.
Click here for a full nutritional breakdown.

While bananas may be mostly carbohydrate, they do not contain more "sugar" than other fruits as so many of my clients/patients seem to think.  All fruits are mostly carbohydrate, it really has to do more with how much a person eats at one time, and what they eat with it.  At around 100 kcals per fruit, they sure beat the peel off any 100 calorie snack pack.  Not only that, but their packaging is biodegradable!

Try bananas in oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, or on a grilled peanut-butter, banana, and chocolate chip sandwich for desert!

No comments:

Post a Comment