Saturday, March 27, 2010

Healthy Cook Off

 Yesterday at work I organized a Healthy Cook Off as part of NNM.  I thought people would be very enthusiastic about this activity, however I quickly realized that a lot of people 'do not have the time' or 'do not know how to cook.' It took a little convincing, but I did get several people to sign up after I printed off some simple, no cook recipes.

I entered banana nut muffins.  I took a recipe from my "Cook's Illustrated, The Best Light Recipe" cookbook.  I've been learning more about the use of honey in cooking and in health and decided to use that in place of the sugar.  I also used whole wheat flour instead of cake flour.  The end product was good, not great; but that's what you get when you take out 2/3 of the fat compared to traditionally prepared banana bread.

Not everyone remembered to bring their food, but in the end we had a great turn out of people wanting to taste our healthy recipes.

And the winners are... In third place we had a very close race between homemade turkey meatballs and fruit salad with coconut.  The fruit salad won by about 2 points.  Second and first place were also a very close race.  The pavlovas with fruit just barely beat out the low fat parmesan chicken soup for first place.  Both were very very good.  People were asking when we were going to do the next one!  Maybe for Thanksgiving we will have a healthy side dish cook off.

2 comments:

  1. You did a nice job with the contest. I like the photo above with the empty crock (& really like the photo of the muffins!) Have a good weekend, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cindy. I was really excited with the muffin picture too. I think my photography skills are getting better.

    ReplyDelete