Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Growth, Revision, Evolution

My seeds are growing! In an effort to get more people using fresh herbs, we had a planting day at work where anyone could plant some seeds in little biodegradable containers and take them home for use in their gardens/kitchens.(part of several NNM activities) I planted purple basil and cilantro.  This weekend I was convinced they were not going to sprout. SURPRISE!!!! I came home from work yesterday and I believe the cilantro has sprung out of the dirt.  Now I just have to hope that I do not kill it.

I picked up an old Runner's Wold magazine this weekend (from September 2009) and found it entertaining how they had a new list of super foods/kitchen staples in an article titled 'Simply Good.'  Several years ago they ran a similar article that I cut out and kept.  It's moved with me from MN to IA to WV to GA and is currently stuck to the refrigerator.  The old list was titled "The Best Grocery List of All Time" and includes: Almonds, Canned Black Beans, Chicken, Dark Chocolate, Eggs, Frozen Mixed Berries, Frozen Stir-Fry Vegetables, Low-Fat Yogurt, Mixed Salad Greens, Oranges, Salmon, Sweet Potatoes, Whole-Grain Bread, Whole-Grain Cereal with Protein, and Whole-Grain Pasta.

The new "Runner's Pantry"as of 2009 should include: Whole Grains, Beans, Olive Oil, Long-Keeping Vegetables and Fruits, Fresh Herbs, Spices, Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Parmesan, Dried Fruit and Nuts, Eggs, Bacon, Canned Tomatoes, Sweeteners, Dried Mushrooms. Note that some of the items (bacon & mushrooms) are used more for their flavoring properties than their nutritional ones.

After flipping through several of Ryan's Men's Health from the past couple months; I didn't find any food lists, but many of the same foods were being used in recipes and in pictures: asparagus, green beans, broccoli, spinach, chicken, beef, fish & seafood, and garlic. It's refreshing to see this magazine evolving from their old 'Man a Can and a Plan' articles to teaching men how to cook real food.

I think it's interesting how many of the same foods continue to pop up on these super food lists no mater what publication it comes from.  It's probably safe to say that no matter how many times these types of lists are revised, whole grains, fruits/veggies, nuts, and beans will probably always be on them.  It's also interesting how dark chocolate has fallen off the bandwagon and so have fad fruits such as the acai berry and pomegranate.  Instead of picking specific foods, lists these days appear to be getting more broad and grouping foods together...much like a certain pyramid I know...

Mark Bittman, the author of the new Runner's World article gives several little tidbits on healthy eating. My three favorites are
+Think plants first
+Start shopping and cooking
+Don't confuse energy bars with real food

I'm particularly fond of the last one.  Of course, I have a feeling it encompasses all bar products including the SoyJoys and Kashi bars in my pantry.  This could also be said for supplements.  No pill or powder will ever replace the power of real fruits and vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment